CATHOLIC SPANISH-LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER VIDA NUEVA RECEIVES 11 NATIONAL AWARDS FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN HISPANIC PUBLISHING
Vida Nueva, the monthly Spanish-language newspaper of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, captured 11 José Martí Publishing Awards, including three Gold Awards, given by the National Association of Hispanic Publications (NAHP). The recognition was recently announced during the NAHP’s annual convention in Oak Brook, IL.
The honors included a Silver Award in General Excellence as the best Less Than Weekly Newspaper; three Gold Awards, six Silver Awards, and two Bronze Awards.
Editor and photographer Victor Alemán (frequent exhibitor of Cesar Chavez’s bio-photography at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels) won three Gold Awards for Outstanding Color, International and Cultural photos.
“Victor Alemán and his team of talented contributors have once again proven that a Catholic newspaper can compete against secular publications,” said John David (JD) Long-Garcia, editor-in-chief of Vida Nueva and English weekly The Tidings. “Alemán’s photography, the design work of José Velazquez and Jorge Infante, along with the regular contributions by Alicia Morandi and many others, set Vida Nueva apart from the rest.”
Silver Award winners also included reporter Alicia Morandi’s article “Reforma migratoria favorece a todos,” and Sofia Fojo’s news story “Mujeres víctimas del campo.” The newspaper was also honored with two Silver Awards for Outstanding Design in the categories of Tabloid Format and Front Page. Bronze Awards were given to Vida Nueva for Outstanding Hispanic Success Story, and Outstanding News Event Photo.
The José Martí Publishing Awards are one of the oldest and largest Hispanic media awards within the United States. NAHP is a nonprofit trade advocacy organization representing Hispanic print publications in the United States, serving 41 markets in 39 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, with a combined circulation of more than 14 million. Vida Nueva is one of the highest circulated Catholic Spanish-language publications in the United States.
“Being recognized in such a prestigious organization like the National Association of Hispanic Publications is an affirmation of what we strive to do every day — be of service to our readers,” said Long-Garcia. “As our community grows, we want to grow with it. As our readers’ needs change, we adapt to serve them.”
Following is a detailed list of the awards won by Vida Nueva in the category of newspapers with a circulation of more than 30,000:
• Outstanding Color Photo: “Día del trabajo,” by Victor Alemán.
• Outstanding International Photo: “Acuerdos de paz en El Salvador,” by Victor Alemán.
• Outstanding Cultural Photo, “Todos contra el hambre,” by Victor Aleman.
• General Excellence Award. Outstanding less than weekly newspaper.
• Outstanding immigration article, “Reforma migratoria favorece a todos,” by Alicia Morandi.
• Outstanding political article, “Mujeres víctimas del campo,” by Sofía Fojo.
• Outstanding design, newspaper, tabloid format.
• Outstanding front page design.
• Outstanding community photo, “America says yes to citizenship,” by Rafael Crisostomo.
• Outstanding Hispanic success story, “Entre Terrassa y California… un universo de fe,” by Alicia Morandi.
• Outstanding news event photo, “Papa Francisco,” by Paul Haring, Catholic News Service (CNS)
# # #