Archdiocese at a Glance:
- Territory: 8,762 sq. miles
- Parishes: 287
- Seminary: St. John’s Seminary, Camarillo, CA
- High Schools and Students: 26 parish and diocesan high schools serving 14,002 students
- Elementary Schools and Students: 211 parish and diocesan elementary schools serving 51,135
- Private Catholic High Schools: 25 serving 12,978 students
- Private Catholic Elementary Schools:8 serving 1,876 students
- Catholic Colleges and Students: 4 serving 14,046 students
- Priests: 502 diocesan; 547 religious priests; 1,049 Total
- Religious Sisters & Brothers: 1,503 Sisters; 82 Brothers
- Seminarians: 53
- Baptisms: 67,887
- First Communions: 44,803
- Confirmations: 26,083
- Marriages: 6,444 Catholic; 786 Interfaith; 7,230 Total
Charities & Community Development
Through our parishes, charities, hospitals, social services, schools and universities, the Catholic Church is a force for human dignity through counties of Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara, serving the most vulnerable people in our communities — Catholics and non-Catholics alike.
The Church sponsors a rich variety of programs and services — hospitals and clinics; food pantries and thrift stores; refugee resettlement and services to immigrants; AIDs treatment; before and after-school care programs; homeless shelters and programs for runaway youth; assisted living facilities and substance abuse and mental health counseling programs; our anti-gang, youth employment services, and community development centers.
Last year alone, Catholic Charities of Los Angeles delivered nearly 900,000 services to some 250,000 individuals, mostly women and children. Nearly 80% of the people we serve have family incomes below $20,000 annually.
The Los Angeles Catholic school system is the fourth largest school district, serving some 80,000 children — more than one-third from families living below the poverty line and nearly 70 percent from ethnic minority households.
Charitable and Social Institutions in the Archdiocese
- Catholic Hospitals: 14
- Patients Served: 2,714,802
- Centers for Social Services: 47
- People Served: 183,463
Catholic California at a Glance
The Archdiocese of Los Angeles is part of the broader Catholic community of California. There are nearly 11 million Catholics in California, or roughly 29% of the state’s total population. The Catholic community is represented by the California Catholic Conference.
- Dioceses and Archdioceses: 12
- Parishes: 1,073
- 10 Bishops and 2 Archbishops
- Catholic Hospitals: 41
- Patients served: 5 million annually
- Catholic Healthcare Centers: 36
- Persons served: 300,000
- Catholic Colleges and Universities: 13
- Students enrolled: 45,500
- Catholic High Schools: 114
- Students enrolled: 76,680
- Catholic Elementary Schools: 165,282
- Social Service Centers: 181
- Persons served: 4.5 million
Catholic Church at a Glance
There are 77.7 million Catholics in the United States (22% of the U.S. population), and nearly 1.2 billion Catholics worldwide.